|A first taste of Ubuntu|
- The installer didn't ask me for partition sizes, it just went with reasonable defaults once I had told it to blow away all of my whopping 4gb disc
- It automatically checked the checksum of each package on the CD, although I imagine that doesn't help much if the entire CD can't be trusted
- It then went off an did it's thing with no more prompting except for host name and a user account
- I wonder id the installer changes the list of packages it installs based on the size of the target filesystem. That would be cool...
- Anyways, after a bit you reboot and apt magic happens without prompting
- They even overwrite /etc/apt/sources.list with Internet sources and do an apt-get update so it's ready to fly
- I was impressed over all
For the skunk works project I had a need for a Ubuntu box, so I did an install on an old piece of c**p Pentium two box I had lying around. It's my first time installing Ubuntu, and I must say I'm impressed:
No, if only they had ImageMagick in the base install...
Tags for this post: linux ubuntu ubuntu distribution install
Related posts: Update on the Dell; Installing Linux on a Dell Dimension e310; Update on the Dell e310 ; Via M10000, video, and a Belkin wireless USB thing; Installing wine on Ubuntu Hoary; TECRA M4 P-M 770 and Ubuntu live CDs
posted at: 02:57 | path: /linux/ubuntu | permanent link to this entry