|Body Armor: 2000|
- Contact! (David Drake): this story is quite unlike the other stuff of his that I have read, mostly because its set in the Vietnam War, not the far future. A good story with an excellent twist.
- The Warbots (Larry S. Todd): this one wasn't for me. I'm not sure what point the author was trying to make, if any. Its just a long history of imaginary weapons.
- The Scapegoat (C. J. Cherryh): this is long, being a novella, and a little hard to read in places because the story jumps around. Overall, a good read though. My first Cherryh, although I have a lot queued up on the shelf.
- The Last Crusade (George H. Smith): this was a good story, and would have fit well in Battlefields Beyond Tomorrow as it has a similar war-is-hopeless tone.
- Hired Man (Richard C. Meredith): there is a nice twist at the end of this one, although its obvious a few pages before it happens.
- Early Model (Robert Sheckley): I was surprised by this one, its the first Sheckley story I've read that I didn't hate. Its not fantastic, but its way better than Bill the Galactic Hero on the Planet of Bottled Brains or his story in Foundation's Friends.
- In the Bone (Gordon R. Dickson): this story is odd, and I'm not 100% sure what I think of it. It was entertaining, but also a little hard to believe.
- The Chemically Pure Warriors (Allen Kim Lang): this was a good story, being quite reminiscent of Tilley's Amtrak Wars series.
- Right To Life (Thomas A. Easton): this story is in the same vein as Make Room, Make Room! and Logan's Run, whilst still being distinct and interesting.
- Or Battle's Sound (Harry Harrison): appeared in Battlefields Beyond Tomorrow.
- Hero (Joe Haldeman): appeared in Battlefields Beyond Tomorrow, and was turned into The Forever War.
Tags for this post: book anthology combat anthology population post_apocalypse colonization david_drake larry_s_todd c_j_cherryh george_h_smith richard_c_meredith robert_sheckley gordon_r_dickson allen_kim_lang thomas_a_easton harry_harrison joe_haldeman
Related posts: Battlefields Beyond Tomorrow ; Dogs of War; Foundation's Friends; Bolos 1: Honor of the Regiment; The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall; The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 2
Ace (1986), Paperback
|I love a good anthology, although I'd read a few of these stories before:
posted at: 22:06 | path: /book/Anthology | permanent link to this entry