|The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall|
- The Survey: P.E.R.N.: this story feels quite lazy. There are new characters, but they aren't well introduced. They find the planet later called Pern, and explore it, but the story is entirely descriptive with no real plot to speak of. A story that's only interesting if you're obsessed with all things Pern. Its especially important that you've read Dragonsdawn before this story.
- The Dolphin's Bell: this story recycles characters introduced in Dragonsdawn to tell another side of the evacuation from Landing story. Its an ok story, but its not ground breaking.
- The Fort of Red Hanrahan: covers the settlement of the second Hold on Pern. This story feels more like a real story, even if it is a bit shallow. Better than the previous two stories.
- The Second Weyr: this is more of a traditional dragon rider story, and quite good. It doesn't feel as much like an afterthought as the other stories, and was a good read. The title is a bit of a fib, as this story explains the existence of the next three weyrs.
- Rescue Run: this was a good story too, covering why the settlers were never rescued.
Del Rey (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
|This is an anthology of Pern stories. It doesn't really stand on its own though, you're much better off having read the other Pern books first. The stories are:
Overall, I'd say this collecting was ok, but nothing particularly special.
Tags for this post: book anne_mccaffrey anthology genetic_engineering dragon biohazard colonization pern pern_landing
Related posts: Dragonsdawn; The White Dragon; The Renegades of Pern; All The Weyrs of Pern; Nerilka's Story; Dragonsinger; Dragondrums; Dragonquest; The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern; Dragonsong; Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern; Dragonflight ; Cyteen: The Vindication; Cyteen: The Betrayal; Body Armor: 2000; The Dolphins of Pern; Cyteen: The Rebirth; Isaac Asimov's Robot Short Stories; Ender's Game; Space Soldiers; Battlefields Beyond Tomorrow
posted at: 00:48 | path: /book/Anne_McCaffrey | permanent link to this entry